What worked well:
- Camera in full manual with preset ISO, aperture and exposure with 50mm f/1.4 AF-D lens (continuous 3D focus tracking) gave sharp images.
- Fill flash blended well with sun with no color temperature issues.
- I underexposed background by too much (more than one stop) but somewhat recovered it in Lightroom - cudos to RAW.
- Bare flash gives harsh shadows - duh
- Chasing Daniel is fruitless. Too many images had wrong light as a result. I should wait for him to come to me.
- As stated above - I am slow to change camera/flash settings which in this case resulted in underexposure. I should pay more attention to histogram.
- Fill (on camera flash) was of the same intensity as key (hand-held SB600 to camera left). Should have either turned it off completely or set to something really small. I do not like two small specs reflected in the eyes.